Top Five Spring Outfitting Mistakes
What do Windex and Woody Wax have in common?
Every spring before we launch the boat, we go through our spring outfitting routine. But during this process, mistakes are common. Some are more common than others—will you be a happy boater this season, or will you start off on the wrong foot? Make sure you don’t make one of these top five spring outfitting mistakes!
1. DON’T wax a nonskid deck. Yes, trying to keep nonskid fiberglass clean can be quite frustrating. But if you wax it with the same stuff you use on the gel coat, you’ll create an ice skating rink in the cockpit. A good alternative is to use Woody Wax, which doesn’t leave a slick surface behind.
2. DON’T clean Isinglass with Windex. Sure those clear curtains are dirty and musty after winter storage, but don’t use Windex on them – it contains ammonia, which will turn the isinglass yellow. Stick with Pledge or Plexus, instead.
3. DON’T bottom paint the fishfinder’s transducer. This is a sure-fire way to degrade your unit’s performance. There are dedicated transducer anti-fouling paints which you need, made by Pettit and MDR.
4. DON’T fail to open all the seacocks. This can be a disastrous mistake, especially if the one you forget to open feeds the engine raw water for cooling. It can also lead to burned-out washdown or livewell pumps, and heads that won’t flush. As you open them, of course, give each a close visual inspection to be sure it’s not leaking.
5. AND FOR GOSH SAKES DON’T launch without the drain plug(s). Yeah, this is the all-time classic. You know what the results are – ‘nuff said!
- Lenny Rudow is Senior Editor for Dominion Marine Media, including Boats.com and Yachtworld.com. With over two decades of experience in marine journalism, he has contributed to publications including Boating Magazine, Marlin Magazine, Boating World, Saltwater Sportsman, Texas Fish & Game, and many others. Lenny is a graduate of the Westlawn School of Yacht Design who has won 28 BWI and OWAA writing awards.
- Connect with Lenny Rudow on Google+
Tags: launch, Lenny Rudow, spring outfitting, windex, woody wax